Lesson Plans for Elementary School Students
Reading Lesson Plan: Dolch Sight Word Booklet
- Practise Dolch sight words.
- Master Dolch sight words.
- Cut workbooks in half horizontally, so that you have 2 small booklets stapled at the left. Make enough for the class, plus 6 or so more so that new students will have lists of all the Dolch sight words. Keep these extra booklets updated as your class adds each new list to the booklet.
- On the computer, make a Master Sheet with 8 identical cover pages on an 8 1/2″ X 11″ page, print it out, then make 4-5 copies for your class. Cut the cover pages apart so that they will fit on the booklets, keeping one Master Sheet intact for your records. The booklets will be flip booklets, with the staples at the top, and the cut edge at the side. Cover page says: Grade 1 (or “Grade 2” )//(next line at the //)Sight Word Booklet//Name:______//Parents please note: It is important that this booklet be taken home each night and returned to school each day. We will be reading and using these words daily. Your child needs to read and learn these important words. A recognition test will be held each Friday. I will read the first word (randomly), students will find the word in the list, and put a number 1 in front of that word. I will read a second word, which students will find in the list, and put a number 2 in front of that word. All 10 words need to be recognized by your child. (When practising these words at home, please do not print numbers in the book. This will be confusing to your child when we practise at school. It is sufficient if your child points to the word at home.) If your child has mastered recognition of these words, you may ask them to spell them for you, as an extra challenge. Students will not be tested on their spelling, but this will be important in the future. Thank you for your participation. Teacher’s Name.” I highlight the words “Parents please note:” in a bright coloured highlighter so that parent’s cannot miss their note. I also let them know about this booklet coming home in their beginning-of-the-year newsletter. ***When students forget this booklet at home, I always have extra lists available for them to use for our practises or for our recognition test. If it’s a test, I date stamp the page, and have the student put their name on it. When their booklet returns to school, I glue this page on top of the existing one in their booklet.***
- In the same manner as the cover page, make a Master Sheet of 8 Dolch word lists on the computer on an 8 1/2″ X 11″ page. They will all be identical and say “Grade 1 (or “Grade 2”)//Dolch sight words #1 (each list will be numbered)” at the top, then a 10-word list will follow, with lines in front of the word, for the student to print in the numbers 1-10. The list for grade 1 might look like this “____ a// ____ and// ____ away// ____ big // ____ blue// ____ can // ____ come//____ down // ____ find//____ for”. Keep one Master Sheet of all the lists for Grade 1 and Grade 2, for your records. Each sheet will have 8 identical lists for grade 1 list #1, list #2, etc. and grade 2 list #1, list #2, etc.
- See bottom of this lesson for Lists of Dolch sight words.
- Tell parents about this word recognition booklet in your newsletter home, either at the beginning of the year, or the monthly newsletter when you start using it. I use it at the beginning of the year.
- Have booklets, cover pages, and the first list ready for handout and give one to each.
- Show students how the covers are glued on, like a flip booklet, and the first list is glued inside in the same direction, from top to bottom. Check their work before the glue dries, so pages can be changed. Students who are finished first, and do a good job, may be given one of the extra booklets to make/update for you.
- Grade 1’s will begin with Pre-primer, Primer, then First Grade lists. Grade 2’s begin with First Grade, then Second Grade lists. Then I choose words from the Dolch 220 Basic Sight Word List, then the Dolch 95 Commonly Used Nouns. Later in the year, grade 1’s may do the Second Grade words and grade 2’s may do the Third Grade words. Other often used words may be added. My classes have chosen words that are important to them. ***If I find that students have difficulty with any words we have already covered, I will put them on a list again for another practise.***
- Keep Master Sheets of the cover page, and all the lists, so that next year, you just have to photocopy the sheet of 8 covers, or the sheet with Grade 1 list #1 or the sheet for Grade 2 list #21. Also, try to keep one booklet for an example to show next year’s class.
- Using the booklet: Every day, students pull out their booklet and we read the list. I might ask a student to spell the word “away”, so that I know they are reading the correct word. They can look at the word to spell it. I might ask them to find the word that has the small word “way” in it (away…finding small words within larger words is a reading skill). I might ask them to find the word that has the “bl” blend in it (blue). I might ask them to find the word that ends with a long a sound (away), or has an oo sound (blue), or a word that rhymes with “door” (for), or rhymes with “play” (away), or words that start with a “K” sound (can, come).
Recognition test on Friday, or whatever day you choose, is fun for students. I did the test once a week, but if the weeks were short, we did it after two weeks. They love the game of “finding” the word. ***I have my own Grade 1 list and Grade 2 list and I number them as I go so I don’t get confused. Before I start, I put the number “1” on my Grade 1 and 2 lists: “____1___ big ” on my Grade 1 list and “____1___ again” on my Grade 2 list, then I say “Grade 1’s…for the first word, find the word ‘big’. It is a ‘big’ deal to be able to read well. Put a #1 in front of the word ‘big’………………Grade 2’s…for the first word, find the word ‘again’. I would like to read that book ‘again’. Put a #1 in front of the word ‘again’……….everyone listening? (eye contact)… anyone need their word repeated?…….grade 1’s have put a #1 by the word ‘big’ and grade 2’s have put a #1 by the word ‘again’…..okay, ready for #2? (eye contact) and continue with #2…, I write in “#2” on both my lists first, then I say the word, sentence for grade 1’s, then grade 2’s (I do grade 1’s first to give them more time to find their word).
Booklets are handed in to me, I mark them right away. Students can read their poem books while I take 2 minutes to do this. It’s very fast to mark….I just put my list on top of theirs and glance at the matching numbers down the side. I put the mark on the cover (no X’s, only the number correct, like an 8 and a checkmark, or a star for a perfect 10). Students love to see all their 8’s or 9’s or *’s on the cover. They love to see their improvements at a glance. It’s easy for me to see their progress in reading these words at report card time.
Example of cover page: (put 8 on a page)
Sight Word Booklet
Parents please note:It is important that this booklet be taken home
each night and returned to school each day.
We will be reading and using these words daily.
Your child needs to read and learn these
important words. A recognition test will
be held each Friday. I will read the first word
(randomly), students will find the word in the list,
and put a number 1 in front of that word. I will
read a second word, which students will find
in the list, and put a number 2 in front of that word.
All 10 words need to be recognized by your child.
(When practising these words at home, please
do not print numbers in the book. This will be
confusing to your child when we practise at school.
It is sufficient if your child points to the word at home.)
If your child has mastered recognition of these words,
you may ask them to spell them for you, as an extra
challenge. Students will not be tested on their spelling,
but this will be important in the future.
Thank you for your participation. Teacher’s Name.”
Example of sheet for recognition tests: (put 8 on a page)
|Grade 1||Grade 1||Grade 1||Grade 1|
|sight words #1||sight words #1||sight words #1||sight words #1|
|____ a||____ a||____ a||____ a|
|____ and||____ and||____ and||____ and|
|____ away||____ away||____ away||____ away|
|____ big||____ big||____ big||____ big|
|____ blue||____ blue||____ blue||____ blue|
|____ can||____ can||____ can||____ can|
|____ come||____ come||____ come||____ come|
|____ down||____ down||____ down||____ down|
|____ find||____ find||____ find||____ find|
|____ for||____ for||____ for||____ for|
Lists: Dolch Basic Sight Vocabulary List by Grade Level (Pre-Primer, Primer, First Grade, Second Grade, Third Grade)
Dolch 220 Basic Sight Words
a about after again all always am an and any are around as ask at ate away be because been before best better big black blue both bring brown but buy by call came can carry clean cold come could cut did do does done don’t down draw drink eat eight every fall far fast find first five fly for found four from full funny gave get give go goes going good got green grow had has have he help her here him his hold hot how hurt I if in into is it its jump just keep kind know laugh let light like little live long look made make many may me much my myself never new no not now of off old on once one only open or our out over own pick play please pretty pull put ran read red ride right round run said saw say see seven shall she should show sing sit six sleep small so some soon start stop take tell ten thank that the their them then there these they think this those three to today together too try two under up upon us use very walk want warm was wash we well went were what when where which white who why will wish with work would write yellow yes you your
Dolch 95 Commonly Used Nouns
apple baby back ball bear bed bell bird birthday boat box boy bread brother cake car cat chair chicken children Christmas coat corn cow day dog doll door duck egg eye farm farmer father feet fire fish floor flower game garden girl good-bye grass ground hand head hill home horse house kitty leg letter man men milk money morning mother name nest night paper party picture pig rabbit rain ring robin Santa Claus school seed sheep shoe sister snow song squirrel stick street sun table thing time top toy tree watch water way wind window wood
Tags: Dolch, Print Material, reading