Full Length Lesson Plans from an Elementary School Teacher
Math Lesson Plan: Line Hunt
- To learn diagonal, horizontal and vertical lines.
- Old books, magazines, newspapers, enough for class
- scissors for each student
- student’s math journal (use 2 open-facing pages labelled Horizontal lines, the next 2 open-facing pages labelled Diagonal lines, and the next 2 open-facing pages labelled Vertical lines
- glue for each student
- chart paper and marker, to list examples of each type of line, and draw pictures.
- Work with students to examples on the chart paper of each type of line.
- Have students choose one example for each and draw in their journal. Now, have students take a flyer or magazine and look for examples of lines. Have them cut and glue in new examples, highlighting the line in the picture, with a marker. Fill in the 2 pages allotted for each line.
- When students are finished, come together in a learning circle and have them share their ideas with the class. Record your findings about students’ knowledge of lines.